Push vs Pull

Dick Hardt dick at sxip.com
Fri Mar 3 01:17:13 UTC 2006

Joaquin

Here is my clarification between Push and Pull:

Pull:
	- The user provides the Relying Party with a *user unique*
Repository locator. (URL or XRI)
	- The Relying Party queries a Repository to get user data.
	- The user may or may not be involved in the transaction.

I consider OpenID, LID and XRI Pull architectures

Push:
	- The Relying party advertises what data it wants.
	- The user "Pushes" the data to the Relying Party
	- The repository does not need to be accessible to the Relying
Party. This allows the data to reside on the user's machine.

I consider Shiboleth, SXIP and WS-* Push architectures

With SXIP, which is a Push architecture, we have a need for protocol
discovery, which lead to my interest in Yadis. Unlike the Pull
technologies where the identifier is for the user, the identifier was
for the user agent so that the Relying Party would know what the user
agent was capable of. This is only needed for zero desktop footprint
implementations. Rich Clients would be able to negotiate capabilities
with the Relying Party.

The original Yadis mandate was for identity protocol discovery. I was
very interested in leveraging existing work, if it did not impose
excessive overhead. The current direction of Yadis seems to be
exclusively for support of the Pull technologies.

Feel free to ask for any clarifications.

-- Dick