ANN: yadis.org wiki now understands Yadis, LID and OpenID

Johannes Ernst jernst+lists.danga.com at netmesh.us
Fri Mar 17 20:01:28 UTC 2006

Dear Yadis community,

we just upgraded the software behind the Yadis.org wiki, and it now
speaks Yadis (new), LID (as before), OpenID (new) and the local
Mediawiki usernames (as before). At least I think so ;-) and I'm sure
you will all tell me if it doesn't work with your identity URL.

You will notice that there is now a LID and an OpenID logo in the
bottom-right corner of your screen. Click on it, enter your identity
URL (OpenID or LID), it then does the redirect dance according to the
protocol that was chosen, and sends you back to the page.

Our code prompts you for re-validation of the session every now and
then by going back to the identity provider (i.e. your identity URL),
regardless whether you are using OpenID or LID. Depending on how the
identity provider is configured, that may or may not require you to
enter your password again. (that way, the relying party -- here,
yadis.org -- can periodically check that nobody else has taken over
the browser session, e.g. because you went to lunch.)

One thing it doesn't do yet is "keep your HTTP POST data" when you
click submit  on a form after your session expired. This is
admittedly a bit annoying, but not fatal: you simply re-authenticate
at your identity URL when prompted, and use the browser's back button
a few times to get back to the form you filled out, and re-submit.

The code will be available as download shortly.

P.S. The icons look much prettier in Firefox than in IE.

Johannes Ernst
NetMesh Inc.