how different is OpenID from SXIP?

Dag Arneson dag at janrain.com
Fri Mar 17 20:42:30 UTC 2006

I personally like how I can choose to use my own url for OpenID.  This
means that if I own a URL I can use it to identify me even as the
services I use change.  Although I can use dag.myopenid.com, which is
not bad at all to type in in the first place, I can also use my personal
domain rorek.org, which points to the same OpenID server.  Many places I
go on the internet and post things I am happy to say, "This is really,
me, the one and only Dag Rorek Arneson". And if for some reason I want
to change my IDP, or add a fallback IDP, all I have to do is change the
magic at my URL.

If I want a new persona, I register a new account on myopenid site, say
gad.myopenid.com, and presto.  Save that the new account name is the
reverse of my name, there's nothing that links the two personas.

With the SXIP way of doing things, I depend on my homesite for
everything, and I am suddenly an entirely different person if I choose
to use a new homesite.  In exchange, I can wait until I get to my
homesite to decide if I want to be dag or gad on this RP, instead of
simply entering the address for the appropriate persona when I am
prompted on the RP.  Since most everyone who does openid login uses
"openid_url" as the name of the field, I should have auto completion for
the field and so I don't have to type in the whole thing every time.

> Well, now the user has uniquely identified themselves with one of a
> small number of URLs that they can remember to type in. Are we really
> that much further along then passwords?

Yes, this is precisely the goal.  We have a secure way of positively
linking a browser session with a persona specified by a URL.  Provided
that their account on their openid server is secure, nobody else can
successfully assert that they own the URL, and thus they are the same
person that logged in with that URL before.

> [1] also, if the email is pushed to the RP instead of being pulled,  the
> Homesite can generate a unique email just for that RP, so that  the RP
> does not have a triangulating identifier, and also the user  can kill
> the unique email if it is abused

It's not necessary to push to gain this benefit.  In fact, claims like
this were the source of my confusion regarding the definition of push.
It is sufficient for the user to be able to change the data that is
being sent in response to the request by the RP.