XRI Resolution 2.0 Working Draft 10 released

Drummond Reed drummond.reed at cordance.net
Sun Mar 19 08:00:36 UTC 2006

It's not quite as much fun as announcing another Yadis implementation but
the XRI TC is pleased to finally release Working Draft 10 of XRI Resolution
2.0. I've sent the XSD files to Joaquin (which as promised have no changes
affecting Yadis), so its full green light for Yadis 1.0.

The public links at OASIS are:

PDF:
http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/download.php/17293/xri-resolution-v2.0-
wd-10.pdf

Word:
http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/download.php/17292/xri-resolution-v2.0-
wd-10.doc

As I've mentioned to several folks on this list, the involvement of Yadis
has significantly improved and generalized XRI resolution architecture (not
just the XRDS document format), and we hope a number of the new XRI
resolution features in here (particularly the new service endpoint selection
architecure) may be useful as Yadis grows.

Also, the now fully-specified XRI proxy resolution architecture makes it
trivially easy for OpenID or LID clients to turn an XRI (i-name) login into
a Yadis URL. If you want to use the public proxy resolver from XDI.org, for
example, you can just prefix the XRI with "http://xri.net/" and treat it
exactly like a Yadis URL (i.e., do a GET for content type
application/xrds+xml). The xri.net proxy resolver will handle all the XRI
resolution and return you either the XRDS document or an error if it doesn't
resolve. Anyone can run their own XRI proxy resolvers -- hopefully soon with
updated code from the OpenXRI project (www.openxri.org).

The spec has been extensively refactored and new introductory material has
been added. The only major to-dos left are extensive examples of XRI
resolution requests/responses and the formal definitions of the xrds and xrd
media types, all of which go in appendicies.

We'd be very appreciate of feedback, comments, and questions of any kind --
just send it here to the list and the XRI TC members on the list will port
it over.

Best,

=Drummond (http://xri.net/=drummond.reed)