Yadis Conformance Testing

Dan Lyke danlyke at flutterby.com
Fri May 19 17:26:47 UTC 2006

A general note. Johannes has forwarded some questions about the test to
me, and I've answered some directly. The "why don't you like my YADIS
URL?" questions so far seem to boil down to two issues:

1. XML namespaces. There'll be a version along shortly which warns when it
finds a "Service", "URI" or "Type" element in a namespace that isn't the
one associated with 'xri://$xrd*($v*2.0)', but as a general practice I'd
suggest just using the template in the spec rather than trying to get too
fancy with namespaces, if only to save some trouble for the poor soul who
thinks they can get away with implementing a relying party parser with
regular expressions.

2. Returning the YADIS document as a mime-type that isn't
'application/xrds+xml' when 'appplication/xrds+xml' is included in the
initial "Accept" headers. My interpretation of the spec is that it's okay
to serve the YADIS document as a different MIME type if you use one of the
redirection methods and offer that up from a separate URL (although users
who find themselves unable to specify a proper MIME type for a served
document should discuss this with their sysadmins, a sledgehammer should
be unnecessary but is recommended), but sections 6.2.5 and 6.2.9 are
pretty plain that if that initial URL serves up a YADIS document it had
better be application/xrds+xml.

(Of course now I need to go double-check that we're not checking the MIME
type when we do subsequent requests to a different URL, and we should
still warn if we find a conflicting MIME type.)

This has also been an interesting exercise for me because normally when I
implement this sort of code I use the spec as a rough guideline and the
existing implementations as my final test. If I can tweak my code to
handle input more flexibly, that's good. In this case I'm trying to make
the spec the final arbiter, and as we find exceptions in other
implementations build heuristics to try to inform people about why this
bit of code doesn't like it rather than extracting the data where-ever we
can.

And I've also no illusions that my reading of the spec and implementation
in this code is the final arbiter, I've already discovered two pretty
embarassing omissions (Josh pointing out the missing "x" in
application/xrds+xml,  and the fact that you can have one *or more*
<Type>s per <Service>). And if my first response to your concern seems a
little boneheaded, press harder. It could be that I'm being boneheaded.

I now return to my usual 3d graphics programming...

Dan