Proposal: SMTP service extension for Yadis discovery

David Fuelling sappenin at gmail.com
Mon Feb 5 05:10:17 UTC 2007

If I read this proposal correctly, you're basically looking for a way to
normalize/transform an email address into an OpenID URL (?)

So, why utilize SMTP at all for this?  A better solution would be the
following:

1.) smoker at myopenid.com is entered into the RP's openid login box.

2.) Determine the root domain of the email address (smoker at myopenid.com ==>
http://myopenid.com).

3.) RP does regular Yadis discovery on the above URL (as though the user
entered myopenid.com into the RP login box), and gets a Yadis service
document, per usual, that advertises all OpenId services (including
information about how to normalize/transform an email into an openid
identity URL).

For example, myopenid might normalize smoker at myopenid.com to
http://myopenid.com/smoker, whereas sappenin.com might normalize
smoker at sappenin.com to http://sappenin.smoker.com.

The Yadis doc portion might look like this:

<Service>
     	<!-- eMail to OpenId URL Transformation Pointer -->
     	<Type>http://ext.openid.net/emailTransform</Type>
     	<URI priority="1">http://example.org/[username]</URI>
</Service>

Or

<Service>
     	<!-- eMail to OpenId URL Transformation Pointer -->
     	<Type>http://ext.openid.net/emailTransform</Type>
     	<URI priority="1">http://[username].example.org/</URI>
</Service>

A.) I guess I'm not clear why we would involve SMTP in this at all.
B.) I'm not a Yadis guru, so I don't know if the above is either legal or
appropriate for a Yadis service document, but it seems like something like
the above should be possible.

David