Transparent failover and restore?

Greg Whalin gwhalin at meetup.com
Sun Dec 19 16:58:50 PST 2004

Kevin A. Burton wrote:
> Greg Whalin wrote:
>

>> I also feel this discussion is purely academic as the only time our
>> memcache servers go down is when we shut them down.  The server is
>> extremely reliable in our experience.  Adding in more server side
>> complexity could also potentially hurt this reliability as well.
>

> No way. Using cheap commodity hardware is one reason people are using
> memcached.  Just buy cheap 32 bit processors with 4 cheap 256M DIMMs
> (2G) and stick it in your cluster.  The cheaper the better.  Just have
> fault tolerant software.
>
> Cheap commodity hardware DOES fail .  Almost by definition.
> AKA not academic ;)
>
> Kevin

Though, how often do you see motherboards and memory fail on running
machines.  Not that often in my experience.  Given you don't really need
a drive in a memcached server, seems much less likely that you will see
hardware failure in a memcached server compared to the average.  In all,
it seems pretty unlikely that a memcache machine will fail, and given
the cheap cost, one can build a pretty large cluster limiting the total
percentage of cache lost if one of these servers does fail.