Out of memory < 64M?

Christopher Schmidt crschmidt at wedu.com
Mon May 16 13:44:00 PDT 2005

On May 16, 2005, at 3:58 PM, Jeremy Wohl wrote:

> Hey folks,
>
> I seem to be getting eventual "SERVER_ERROR out of memory" msgs when
> using
> less than the default 64M max memory (determined by trial-and-error.)
>
> The following list post conjectures a 15M min -- has this changed in
> recent versions?
>
>     http://lists.danga.com/pipermail/memcached/2004-April/000566.html

I won't speak to the patch, but I was just able to run a server with 16
meg of memory and go through the steps mentioned in that email with no
problem, and I have, in the past, added caching to my own applications
with servers running on only 32 meg of memory. So, I don't think that
you're necessarily running into an absolute limit of 64 meg at the low
end.

Your problems may be related to the allocation model that memcached
uses, with different blocks/sizes, but again, I don't know a lot about
the application, so I can't say for sure what exactly is happening.

--
Christopher Schmidt