PHP memcached extension

Russ Garrett russ at last.fm
Sun Sep 4 05:26:31 PDT 2005

Joel Lee wrote:

> http://us3.php.net/memcache
>
> I am using this and it works great.  I'm not sure if the "best" PHP
> API is some topic of hot debate or not, I assume there must have been
> some problem or the links wouldn't have been pulled.
>
> Anyway, my vote is for this, an actual PHP extension.  To me, this
> seems the most formal, recognized effort to bring memcached to the PHP
> environment.

The main issue with that extension is that it doesn't have built-in
multi-server support. The "mcache"
(http://www.klir.com/~johnm/php-mcache/) extension is better
feature-wise, and it's also based on the fairly widely-used libmemcache.

Having said that, we do use that extension at the moment, with our own
multi-server wrapper class around it. We're trying to move to the mcache
extension currently.

Russ