PHP memcached extension

Antony Dovgal antony at zend.com
Tue Sep 6 05:18:16 PDT 2005

On 04.09.2005 16:26, Russ Garrett wrote:

> > The main issue with that extension is that it doesn't have built-in
> > multi-server support.

Not precisely true.

See this pseudo-code:
<?php

$first_server = new Memcache(...);
$second_server = new Memcache(...);
$third_server = new Memcache(...);
$fourth_server = new Memcache(...);

?>

Nothing prevents you from using as much servers as you want in the same time.

I'm a strong believer that it's better to write couple of lines in PHP and have 100% flexible API then
to hardcode some logics into the extension and have to work around it every time to get the desired behaviour.

> >The "mcache"
> > (http://www.klir.com/~johnm/php-mcache/) extension is better
> > feature-wise, and it's also based on the fairly widely-used libmemcache.

I'm just curious: besides this "multi-serverness" what are the additional features it offers?
Comparing to http://php.net/memcache, of course.

Thanks.

--
Wbr,