first time user with out of memory question

Steven Grimm sgrimm at facebook.com
Mon Jun 12 21:07:13 UTC 2006

Paul T wrote:
> I think that nobody on this list is running memcached
> under heavy pressure, though, so this bug can be
> happily ignored in many cases.

As I type this, we are running about 19,000 requests a second through
some of our production memcached instances.

There is a reason we spent time reworking memcached's network I/O to
reduce its CPU consumption: we were getting uncomfortably close to
running out of CPU capacity on our memcached servers (and these are not
slow old machines). There's also a reason we added UDP support: our
memcached instances were each handling tens of thousands of simultaneous
client connections, enough that the per-connection overhead was starting
to become significant. If that doesn't count as "heavy pressure" I'm not
sure what does -- what does your load look like? (And what hardware do
you run memcached on, that can support significantly heavier traffic
than that?)

-Steve