Confused on scaling memcached & persistant connections (w/ the PECL client)

Brian Moon brianm at dealnews.com
Fri Mar 10 17:05:32 UTC 2006

> Are there any plans for the PECL memcached client to pool the persistent
> connections on the server in a more efficient manner?

Each Apache process will have to have its own persistent connection.
The only other option I could think of would be to have a daemon on the
localhost that acted as a proxy.  I don't know of such a thing at this time.

> Also, has anybody else noticed just how slow unserialize() is in PHP?

Its not super fast, but its not much slower than creating the data every
time in code.   At least, not when I last tested it.

> Is there any way for the memcached PECL client to be extended to accept
> arrays/objects and do this faster

To store an array or object, you have to make it a string or binary data
somehow.  The only way to do that in PHP is serialize.

Brian Moon
dealnews.com