Implementing Memcached on EC2

Erik Osterman e at osterman.com
Wed Jan 3 22:00:32 UTC 2007

Andy Smith wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 03, 2007 at 11:42:22AM -0800, Erik Osterman wrote:
>
>> By now I'm sure many of you are familiar with Amazon's EC2 offering.
>> We're using it for our application to help with the woes of scaling. One
>> of the nice features is that each instance comes with 1.7GB of memory
>> that we'd like to partially allocate to a memcached process.
>>

> Don't you find the latency of introducing a WAN link between your
> app and memcached to be a performance killer?  Or do you run your
> app on the EC2 node as well?
>
> Cheers,
> Andy

Yes, almost our entire app runs on a cluster EC2 instances (not a
singular instance). Any memcache access would be taking place across the
Amazon network between EC2 instances. But speaking of latency, that's
another reason why we don't want to introduce a VPN on our EC2 instances
for Memcache b/c of the inherent latency associated with them.

Ciao,

Erik Osterman