An alternative to Tugela cache

Mauro Infantino plenque at gmail.com
Tue Sep 4 02:07:40 UTC 2007

Alberto Bertogli wrote:
> That said, I can take a look at implementing the memcached protocol on
> the server side if there is enough need for such a thing in the future.
> At this moment, I'm more interested in adding some features that nmdb
> still needs (like stats, or asynchronous client operation), but it's
> entirely possible given how nmdb is designed.

If you could implement memcache's protocol (binary or text), I think it
will boost your project incredibly.

I mean, you could take advantage of the current bindings available in
almost every language, all the improvements made on the client side
(consistent hashing, compression, php session handler, replication,
etc.) would be automatically available for your project.

Also, I don't think this is a replacement for MogileFS (just to name one
distributed FS project), but it could be a nice improvement for tons of
sites that right now are using memcached for the session storage. People
wouldn't have to change their code (or compile a new module on each web
server), they'd only make another memcached client connection. And let's
not forget there will be a simple and nice answer to a question that has
been asked so many times ;o)

Anyways, thank you very much for your work, and congratulations.

Regards,
Mauro.