Socket problem on Vista

Robert Brewer fumanchu at aminus.org
Tue Sep 25 00:09:17 UTC 2007

Dean Harding wrote:
> Robert Brewer wrote:
> >
> >   C:\memcached>memcached.exe -d install
> >   socket(): No error
> >   failed to listen
> >
> >   C:\memcached>memcached.exe -p 9090 -l 127.0.0.1
> >   socket(): No error
> >   failed to listen
> >
> >   C:\memcached>memcached.exe -d start
> >   socket(): No error
> >   failed to listen
> >
> >   C:\memcached>memcached.exe -d
> >   option requires an argument -- dIllegal argument "?"
> >
> > Any pointers? I'm running Vista Business Edition on a new Sony laptop.
>
> What happens when you just run it with no command-line arguments?

The same output.

> I'm  running Vista Enterprise 64-bit and have no trouble starting
> memcached.exe
>
> Also, in order to run it with the -d option, you need an administrator
> command-line (right-click on "Command Prompt" and select "run as
> administrator").

That's a good idea, but I get the same output when running as Administrator. :(

> For the error when you specify "-l" I believe there may some strange
> interaction between memcached and IPv6, but I'm not really familiar
> enough with the code to know for sure. If you don't specify the
> interface (i.e. just "-p" no "-l") then it'll listen on all adapters
> which may be what you want anyway.

Eventually, that's what I'll want. I'd just like it working under
any configuration at the moment. ;) Your thought about IPv6, however,
prompted me to try hard-coding the DHCP-leased IP for my wireless
connection:

  C:\memcached>memcached.exe -l 192.168.1.100
  socket(): No error
  failed to listen

...but to no avail.

Robert Brewer