Fault Tolerance?

dormando dormando at rydia.net
Fri Sep 28 16:36:23 UTC 2007

Folks,

NDB has been available for many years, and comes with 5.0. It uses
syncronous replication and a number of coordination features, which are
very latency sensitive. These are usually *required* for syncronous HA
setups. Yes, there have been improvements with 5.1, but I don't see
where it's beta in 5.0?

Yeah, it's hard to set up.
Yeah, it's easy to break it.
Yeah, it's also tough on hardware requirements.

However, some folks here (dealnews is vocal in particular) get quite a
bit of mileage out of it. If you really need it you can spend the time
to do it right. It'll be slower than memcached, but probably fast enough
for you.

Also, if you use MySQL Cluster exactly like memcached (a giant hash
table) the performance appears to be okay. Don't do joins against it.

Going to take a nap now :P

-Dormando