Upcoming memcached releases + rambling.

Dustin Sallings dustin at spy.net
Sat Feb 9 19:13:37 UTC 2008

   I don't necessarily doubt git can do the same stuff as mercurial,
but it seems to take way more effort to do anything in git.

   Part of this is because git has so many ways to do everything.  One
can actually understand all of mercurial fairly quickly.  The default
command set includes no destructive commands, but still provides
everything you need for day-to-day work.  The extensions provide
advanced functionality incrementally without a lot of redundancy.

   Part of the reason may just be that the complication has led people
to use it without understanding it.  I'm a little annoyed that my
contributions to a project using git ended up without my name on
them.  That's actually harder to do in mercurial since import would
apply the patch as if it were pulled.  Of course, it could have been
intentional.

   Part of it is the way the tools don't seem to get along.  gitweb is
the worst offender here.  I got my olpc xo and found they had all
their code in a git repo.  The wiki pointed me to it and I could see
tons of projects, recent checkins, and all that.  What I could not do
was clone one.  Apparently I need a different URL for that, not
provided by gitweb (though I've seen it on some projects).  In hg,
when you can see the tree history, you can clone it efficiently.  I
don't need a special server because the native protocol is http and
the server is a cgi or fastcgi or mod_python thing that is as good for
hg as it is for humans.

   In the end it sounds like mostly all just care that it's not svn as
it has no redeeming qualities.  I am advocating mercurial more because
I think it's easier for humans to understand.

   I do need to spend some time looking over dormando's response and
see if it clears up issues I'm having.

--
Dustin Sallings (mobile)