perl/java incompatability

Jehiah Czebotar jehiah at gmail.com
Tue Jul 1 13:27:29 UTC 2008

On Tue, Jul 1, 2008 at 6:37 AM, Aidan Samuel
<Aidan.Samuel at digitallook.com> wrote:
> I know this is a bit of a shot in the dark, but I thought I'd give it a
> go:
>
> We have perl reading/writing from/to our memcache server, and java just
> reading. Perl is working fine, but java only works /most/ of the time.
> For particular keys, java gets junk data returned.

in general different clients are not compatible reading and writing
the same data because of different encoding/serialization schemes,
different compression schemes, and different use of flags stored in
memcached.

In addition they often, as you mentioned, use different hashing
algorithms to match up keys to different servers.

--
Jehiah