Portability of server and clients

alex at owal.co.uk alex at owal.co.uk
Wed Jun 25 16:20:13 UTC 2008

Henrik wrote:
> Platform compatibility is simply not an issue for a client written in PHP,
> Java, Perl or C# or Ruby or whatever.

That may be true for Java and I cant comment on C# or Ruby.
However the pure perl based client is not very fast. I have been trying to
compile one of the C based perl modules without much success. The PHP
module is also written in C and so may not work perfectly on all
platforms.

As I am not an expert in memcached it is very difficult to see the cause
of a C compiled client misbehaving. The problem might be

a) me not understanding
b) me not building the client correctly
c) a bug in the client
d) a bug in the server

A simple list saying "I have gotten this working on platform XYZ" would
help eliminate some of these options.