mogile + amazon

Eric Lambrecht eml at guba.com
Mon Nov 13 19:58:11 UTC 2006

Jay Buffington wrote:
> I did the math and thought S3 was going to be quite a bit more
> expensive than doing it ourselves, but once you factor in opportunity
> cost (getting head count and good sysadmins isn't easy) Amazon looks
> pretty good.
>
> Smugmug CEO raves about S3:
> http://blogs.smugmug.com/onethumb/2006/08/12/amazon-s3-the-holy-grail/

He's got an even better post here:

http://blogs.smugmug.com/onethumb/2006/11/10/amazon-s3-show-me-the-money/

What's interesting is that S3 seems (at the level I'm familiar with it)
to have the same interface as mogile. I wonder if you could start a
competing business with mogile as your store. We'd probably need a
little more error correction/detection in mogile..

> I think I would implement this a thin wrapper around a Mogile and S3
> client that could make the decision of which to use.  Data would
> either go into S3 or MogileFS.  Treating S3 as another host in Mogile
> seems unnecessary since Amazon is already doing a good job of taking
> care of redundancy and speed issues.

Yeah... actually integrating the service as a device doesn't make much
sense, especially since there is a cost associated with accessing S3 vs
your own drives.

I'd probably store a copy of all new stuff on S3 and in our mogile
cluster, then as a piece of content ages or falls under some hit count,
I'd nuke it completely from mogile. If the content is requested in the
future, we could probably proxy it from S3 and store it back in mogile
all at once on the fly.

Eric...