Allocating MySQL cluster nodes for MogileFS database

Arthur Bebak abebak at fabrikinc.com
Wed Feb 7 20:09:00 UTC 2007

Jared Klett wrote:
> hi Jonathan,
>
> 	I had the same thought, initially, but as it turns out in the
> latest/greatest (gulp) version of MySQL cluster it's possible to use
> disk storage on your data nodes:
>
> http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.1/en/mysql-cluster-disk-data.html

Honestly, from an operations point of view I'm not convinced that the complexity
of running a cluster is really needed. You're probably better off with a simple
master/slave setup with some automatic failover. When your DB traffic outgrows
your single DB box you use your application to balance between multiple database
boxes.

For example, store the data for users A-L in one M/S pair, and users M-Z in the
other pair, or split independent tables between different M/S pairs - you get the idea.
That will take you a long way up the performance curve with little complexity.
At least until you get to be as big as LiveJournal :)

--
Arthur Bebak
abebak at fabrikinc.com