db-independence update; call for hackers

Cahill, Earl ecahill at corp.untd.com
Fri Jan 5 06:45:46 UTC 2007

> But am I doing this for fun?

I would say +1 even if all we got out of it was ability to use memcache
easier.  That said, let's say you want to store 100 billion photos.  I
am pretty convinced that mysql will likely have a hard time keeping up,
but I would have more confidence that an oracle solution might exist.

I also like the idea of queries being centralized, so as to more easily
add logging.  Did it on a recent project and went from I think hundreds
of queries to generate a page (even on the second hit), no a few on the
first hit and zero on the second hit.  Pretty hard to do that analysis
when the queries are spread out everywhere.

> So ... any Postgres/Oracle-using SQL/Perl hackers out there?

Done plenty of both, how can I help?

Earl