disk monitoring

Nathan Schmidt nathan at pbwiki.com
Tue May 1 01:01:51 UTC 2007

All of our machines dump into some offworld syslogs -- from a
representative crontab:

*/15 *  * * *   root    /usr/sbin/smartctl --all -d ata /dev/sda |
grep -E "(SMART overall| Temperature)"|tr -s ' '|tr "\n" "," |logger -
p daemon.info -t 'smartd: /dev/sda'
*/15 *  * * *   root    cat /sys/block/sda/stat |tr -s ' '| logger -t
'dstat-sda' -p daemon.info
*/15 *  * * *   root    sensors -f w83793-i2c-0-2f|grep -E "(Temp|
Fan)"|tr -s ' '|cut -d'(' -f1|tr "\n" ","|logger -t 'hwmon' -p
daemon.info
*/15 *  * * *   root    cat /sys/class/net/eth0/statistics/*|tr "\n"
" "| logger -t 'nstat-eth0' -p daemon.info

So far the only disk failure we've seen was correctly predicted by
smartctl, though with only about 30 minutes warning (noted after the
fact, of course). FWIW, the smartctl lines above are a little too
terse for making a proper alarm -- smartctl died during its run
indicating imminent failure, but without any output there was no
useful info in the syslog stream.

I just saw James Byers note with explicit flags in the smartctl call
- sort of points to the need for a more standard one-line-output mode
for smartctl, or at least a wrapper script which could handle those
more elaborate cases as well as well as our null output.

Regards,
-Nathan / PBwiki