Memory requirement/restart frequency of MogileFS processes.

dormando dormando at rydia.net
Mon Oct 15 01:18:04 UTC 2007

Justin Huff wrote:

>> They get pretty big, but don't usually bloat forever for me unless
>> there's a bug...
> What is 'pretty big'? Any tunables you can recommend?
>
> Both of my trackers have 2gig, and the replicate processes grow until
> the machine starts swapping.  In several cases, I have seen the OOM
> killer kick in.
>
> The growth doesn't seem to happen continuously.  It'll stay flat for a
> day or two, then start growing for a few hours only to level off. I have
> yet to find any particular trigger.

Please let the list know if you do find a trigger... We've been hitting
something similar and I don't have any excuses for not attempting to fix
it. I'm lazy, other people appear to be busy, etc :)

By "big" I mean on the order of 60-90 megabytes. Not gigantic by any
means. No real tunables I know of... If you don't want to restart your
tracker, it's been floated (though I haven't tried yet) just reaping and
restarting the replicators by cron until we get this fixed out.

!want 0 replicate
!want 2 replicate

etc.

-Dormando