Exporting files to another server

Mark Smith smitty at gmail.com
Fri Jan 25 19:03:35 UTC 2008

> I have a ton of files uploaded to a MogileFS server. How do I export them
> out to another server?  The database entries would need to be consistent of
> course, so that the new app can get those files again.

Do you mean from one storage node to another?  Or do you mean from one
MogileFS installation to another?  (I.e., the second with a fully
separate database, separate storage nodes, separate trackers, ...)

If you mean the latter, then it's a very domain specific problem.  It
depends on what the constraints of the connection are between the two,
and whether you can take downtime or not.  If you can shut off the old
MogileFS cloud, you can easily copy the database and then start
copying the storage nodes verbatim.

However, if you can't take downtime or don't want to, then you'll have
to write a tool to do the migration.  The folks at Six Apart might
still have something kicking around from when we migrated LiveJournal
from Seattle to San Francisco, but I remember that script being very
specific to how LJ was setup.

Short answer: there is no default/automatic way to do it from one
MogileFS cloud to another.  It can be done relatively easily though,
but you will have to write something.  It would be nice to have this
kind of tool in the base distribution, though.

--
Mark Smith / xb95
smitty at gmail.com