ditching multiple openid.server declarations

Brad Fitzpatrick brad at danga.com
Thu Jun 9 12:45:17 PDT 2005

Previously we'd discussed declaring multiple openid.server <link> tags.
It was originally proposed from a high-availability perspective, until
it was pointed out that consumers can't detect failure when it's the user
agent that's timing out/failing, and you can't grab them back.

But I still kept it in because I was thinking about credential passing to
sites like flickr for posting to my blog without my password (a layer on
top of OpenID, not part of this spec), and I thought it'd be convenient to
have flickr able to pick the openid server for where it'd want to post to.
But that's a weak argument, since the user should declare anyway what blog
to post it to.

Plus it really conflicts w/ openid.delegate... how do you line up multiple
multiple openid.server declarations to their respective openid.delegate
declarations without packing them together?  Ugly.

So --- I'm yanking out support for multiple openid.server declarations
from Net::OpenID::Consumer.  It wasn't well documented or discussed
anyway.

Again, good arguments will be heard, but I feel a lot more strongly about
this being crap than other things (and crap I helped agree on), so it'll
have to be a great argument probably.

- Brad