Yadis.... now OpenID

Christopher Schmidt crschmidt at crschmidt.net
Wed May 18 05:40:55 PDT 2005

On Tue, May 17, 2005 at 08:54:07PM -0700, Brad Fitzpatrick wrote:
> The temporary name Yadis is now dead.  It's now OpenID.
>
> Much love to David Lehn for giving us http://openid.net/ , which is
> currently down until DNS gets moved/setup.
>
> For now:
>
>     http://danga.com/openid/
>
> Changes:
>
>     -- not based on FOAF (though FOAF can still be used, and just as
>        easily if it's under the root identity URL)
>
>    <link rel="openid.server" href="http://www.livejournal.com/misc/openid.bml" />

Can we add something to the FOAF along the lines of <openid:server
rdf:resource="http://www.livejournal.com/misc/openid.bml" />, just to
keep the RDF friendly among us happy? Personally, I'm working towards
making my homepage a simple XSLT processing of my FOAF file, and that
would let me process the FOAF openid:server to openid.server in the
<link rel> stuff.

> The "openid." preface is consistent with the GET arguments in the
> requests/responses, and allows us extensibility in the future, if we
> need to link more.  The period is okay, since the rel is just a bunch
> of CDATA tokens.  No content-type makes sense.  No title makes much sense.

"No title makes much sense" -- I don't know that a title can hurt? It's
just a human readable version of the href: "OpenID Identity Server"
would be a fine title, although it's probably best to just tell clients
not to pay attention to what it is and only key on rel?

--
Christopher Schmidt
"I don't work here, I just wish I did."