extentions to OpenID

Hiroaki KAWAI kawai at iij.ad.jp
Tue May 31 08:40:29 PDT 2005

Hi,

Last few days, I thought about the security considerations,
and I'd like to suggest some solutions.

1. Add spec that the connection between some_blog and
openid_url site MAY use https schme to assert that the content
of the openid_url is surely sent from openid_url server.
(for man in the middle attack. p_user might be mislead to wrong
id server and type their password at evil id_serv.)
# https://openid_url

2. Add spec that the connection between some_blog and
id_serv MAY use https scheme to assert that the arguments
and the signature of the concatenated string is surely sent from
id_serv server. Mainly to protect the id_serv public key.
(for man in the middle attack)
# https://id_serv
## I think this is less important.

3. Define an extensional spec (out of OpenID spec itself) that
id_serv MAY send additional identity clue and its DSA signature
as we do in openid.sig, to achive more high level confirmation.
The clue MAY contain some IDs that id_serv maintain locally
(ex, UUID), or some other helper information to validate that
the user is "p_user".
I'd like to suggest separate signature to achieve wide
compatibility in an easy way.
The to utilize the additional information, we should define it
in separate protocol spec.

where
- p_user     : person to be authenticated
- openid_url : the url that represents P.
- id_serv    : ID server that p_user rely on.
- some_blog  : OpenID consumer site.

Any suggestions?

---Hiroaki Kawai
kawai at iij.ad.jp
Applied Research and Technology Division,
Technology Department,
Internet Initiative Japan Inc.