Announcing YADIS...again

Carl Howells chowells at janrain.com
Tue Oct 25 16:40:04 PDT 2005

I've read through the documentation provided, and I'm a bit confused by
all of this.  How does having this protocol make things easier?

I suppose that is a very general question, so perhaps some more concrete
ones would be a better starting point.

Is supporting the profile exchange a requirement for all YADIS-compliant
servers, or is it an optional feature?

What's your timeline on having a demo site supporting both LID and
OpenID-style URLs?  What about a timeline for LiveJournal supporting YADIS?

How would you go about adding support for a non-url-based identity
system, like sxip or i-names?

And back to some broader thoughts and questions...

 From my current understanding of YADIS, I'm really confused by its
motivation.  At the moment, it seems to be LID, but allowing you to use
the OpenID authentication mechanism in place of LID's authentication
mechanism.  This seems like it would require little change to LID
servers, but OpenID servers would require adding enough new
functionality to essentially make them LID servers.

All this raises a question:  Why not just use LID?  What does YADIS
actually add?

Anyway, thanks for your time.  Hopefully someone can help enlighten me.

Carl Howells