Yadis Standardization

Recordon, David drecordon at verisign.com
Sat May 20 06:38:20 UTC 2006

Since this idea first surfaced at this last Internet Identity Workshop,
I've done some thinking about it.  I agree with Johannes that this would
be A Good Thing, though do realize that some people may have concerns
with it.  Obviously Johannes wouldn't propose this to the community if
we didn't think this was the right thing to do.  None of us can promise
that this is "the right thing", but many members of the XRI TC have been
involved in this community and in actively shaping Yadis as well.  In
the long run, it seems like the best, shortest, and most applicable way
to get Yadis into a standards body.

In speaking with Drummond and Gabe, it seems like Yadis would fit well
within the XRI TC and the XRI Resolution specification.  The idea is
that the spec will be taken, as it stands at 1.0 today, and incorporated
as a new section within the XRI Resolution spec.  Content/meaning
changes will not be made, since the community has worked out what Yadis
should do, but wording will be updated as the context will have changed.
i.e. not needing to reference an external spec for the XRD or redefining
terminology.

While OASIS does require a membership, starting at $250 per year for an
individual, we believe Yadis is at a state where this will not be a
large issue to members of this community.  Not only are members of the
TC easy to get a hold of, via email as well as their participation in
this community, the Yadis spec should not need to be changed.  The
combination of these two factors shouldn't require an OASIS membership
to continue growing this community and its involvement in Yadis.

All I can promise is that Johannes and I will be actively involved in
helping put Yadis into the XRI Resolution Working Draft and that all of
you will have an opportunity to comment on and provide feedback about
how this was done.  As Johannes said, let us know if you disagree and
we'll try to figure out the answers to any concerns.

--David