Brackup hanging on exit

Gavin Carr gavin at openfusion.com.au
Thu Aug 28 11:19:54 UTC 2008

I'm seeing an intermittent problem on large backups where brackup
hangs on the final exit(0), sometimes for just a few minutes, and
sometimes for much longer (hours, and usually then killed). Has
anyone else experienced this?

At first I thought it was some kind of Target::Sftp problem related
to the subprocess that is getting spawned by Net::SFTP::Foreign, but
I've now replicated it using Target::Ftp as well, so it doesn't
appear to be that.

I found this perlmonks thread:

  http://www.perlmonks.org/?node_id=334610

which seems to describe a similar problem, and as they suggest using
POSIX::_exit instead of exit does seem to workaround the problem,
but that seems pretty ugly.

I'm only using this on CentOS 4 / RH perl 5.8.5, so it's quite
possible this is a perl-version-specific bug too.

Any thoughts/ideas?

Cheers,
Gavin