brackup-restore config file access

Gavin Carr gavin at openfusion.com.au
Thu Jan 7 18:25:56 UTC 2010

On Thu, Jan 07, 2010 at 02:47:50PM +0200, Kostas Chatzikokolakis wrote:
> Damn, after countless times entering those keys I was this close from
> learning my 60 character amazon secret key by heart. Now you ruined it.
>
> Seriously, awesome patch, makes the world a better place to live :)

:-)

> Speaking of annoying things, each time I do a gc I watch brackup-restore
> downloading hundreds of megabytes of .brackup files, while the same
> files already exist on my disk. It would be great if brackup-restore
> could take as an argument the directory of the local .brackup files, and
> avoid downloading files that are already there. The filename is
> different, by we can find the timestamp from the local .brackup file.
> Anyway, not that important, but a bit annoying.

It's a nice idea - I wonder how much difference you'd see in practice?
I'd guess the reading/parsing/chunk collation would take much longer than
fetching the files, but I'm not sure. Might be worth some benchmarking to
figure out if was worth doing. gc does take way too long though.

Cheers,
Gavin