symlinks, hardlinks

Kostas Chatzikokolakis kostas at chatzi.org
Mon May 24 09:49:53 UTC 2010

On 23/05/10 13:14, Dawid Marcin Grzesiak wrote:
> I wonder how brackup deals with symlinks and hardlinks while backup is
> targeting to FTP.
> Does it preserve them after restoring?

Hi Dawid,

as Gavin said, symlinks are properly restored, hardlinks will be
restored as separate files. Note that brackup doesn't modify at all
where the symlinks point to. So if a symlink points to an absolute path,
the exact same path will be restored, which might or might not
correspond to the same file.

Btw this is completely independed from the type of target. Brackup only
stores chunks and metafiles on the target, it doesn't assume that the
target supports symlinks.

Kostas