crashes with Component::External

Martin Atkins mart at degeneration.co.uk
Mon Oct 23 17:28:26 UTC 2006

oliver oli wrote:
> I'm trying to configure djabberd for an external component, but it
> crashes after startup. any idea what's wrong?
>
> xmpp:/opt/djabber# ./djabberd
> Deep recursion on subroutine "DJabberd::Agent::deliver" at
> lib/DJabberd/Delivery.pm line 17.
> Deep recursion on subroutine
> "DJabberd::Component::External::handle_stanza" at lib/DJabberd/Agent.pm
> line 31.
> Killed
> xmpp:/opt/djabber#
>

>   <Plugin DJabberd::Component::External>
>       ListenPort 5290
>       Secret password
>   </Plugin>

Of the top of my head I'd guess that the plugin is delivering to itself
infinitely, perhaps because you've attached it to the same server as
your clients are attached to. The usual way to set up a component is as
a subdomain, like this:

     <Subdomain thingy>
         <Plugin DJabberd::Component::External>
         </Plugin>
     </Subdomain>

The <Subdomain> directive creates a second domain whose name is (in this
case) thingy.yourdomain.com, and configures local delivery between the two.

The Component::External plugin should definitely act better in this
case, though; thanks for the report!