djabberd vs chinese name

Martin Atkins mart at degeneration.co.uk
Fri Apr 13 07:06:27 UTC 2007

Chinian Wang wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> I just install djabberd and build up my own Authentication and
> RosterStorage module.
>
> Everything is fine except the Chinese Roster name.  (RosterItem::name)
>
> I have tried 2 different clients (Pandion & Exodus), both don't show the
> correct Chinese name.
>
> Where should I start to look?

Hi Chinian,

We have seen problems before with non-ASCII characters that get stored
in the SQLite roster storage backend, though I don't think it's ever
really been investigated. I had always assumed it was a bug in the
SQLite bindings, but you say that you are writing your own RosterStorage
so perhaps there is a different problem.

I would guess that the important thing is to make sure that your strings
are marked as being utf8 so that the non-ASCII characters can be
preserved. Unfortunately I can't be any more help than this, since I'm
not very familiar with Perl's unicode handling.

All the best,
Martin