remote chatroom joining

Peter Saint-Andre stpeter at stpeter.im
Wed Nov 7 20:53:58 UTC 2007

Martin Atkins wrote:
> Clive Holloway wrote:
> [snip]
>>
>> But I don't see a comment anywhere on how to deal with a service on a
>> remote host.
>>
>> ie, if "domainname.com" resolves through DNS, and "service" is running
>> on "domainname.com", "service.domainname.com" doesn't need to resolve
>> in DNS because it's actually "service" @ "domainname.com", but that's
>> not how the DNS lookup is approaching it.
>>

> I don't believe that the correct behavior is what you have described.
>
> service.domainname.com and service at domainname.com are two distinct JIDs.
> If JIDs in service.domainname.com are to be accessible by S2S, then a
> SRV record must be published for
>     _xmpp-server._tcp.service.domainname.com

You don't want to do that because service.domainname.com is not an XMPP
server that listens on port 5269, it is an add-on service hosted by the
XMPP server at domain.com (which handles the server-to-server traffic
for all subdomains at domain.com).

However, you may want service.domainname.com to resolve, since the
resolutions might be used in server dialback (and could be used in TLS
and SASL too).

> or alternatively, you could publish a record like:
>     service.domainname.com. IN CNAME domainname.com.
> assuming you already have the relevant A record published for
> domainname.com and you're using the standard S2S port.

Typically if you want users from foreign domains to access your add-on
service then you would publish a DNS record like this (the example is
from the jabber.org DNS setup, where we have a MUC service called
conference.jabber.org:

conference   IN A   208.245.212.98

Peter

--