Subscribing to an LJ Talk roster from another server

Michael Rogers mrogers at limewire.com
Tue Dec 9 19:07:00 UTC 2008

I'm not sure if this is a djabberd issue or a livejournal-specific
issue, so I apologise if this is the wrong list.

I've been having trouble subscribing to a livejournal account's presence
from a non-livejournal account or vice versa, although it's possible for
two livejournal accounts or two non-livejournal accounts to subscribe to
each other's presences (I've tested every combination of
livejournal.com, jabber.org and gmail.com).

As far as I understand it the message flow should look like this:

A -> B: subscribe  (A asks to subscribe to B's presence)
A <- B: subscribed (B allows the request)
A <- B: subscribe  (B asks to subscribe to A's presence)
A -> B: subscrubed (A allows the request)

With two livejournal accounts or two non-livejournal accounts that's
exactly what I see, and the accounts can subsequently chat with each
other. But with one livejournal account and one non-livejournal account,
the 'subscribe' and 'subscribed' messages are leaving the livejournal
client but never reaching the non-livejournal client.

I see the same behaviour regardless of whether the clients use Pidgin or
the Smack library, and all combinations of non-livejournal accounts are
working, so I think it's a livejournal server issue - is djabberd
blocking outgoing subscribe/subscribed messages for some reason?

Thanks,
Michael