Size limit for tasks?

Joe Stump joe at digg.com
Mon Apr 21 16:33:23 UTC 2008

On Apr 21, 2008, at 8:39 AM, Paul Goracke wrote:

> Is there a known size limitation for submitted tasks? I'm running
> into problems with tasks failing if they exceed a certain size. To
> make matters more frustrating, the size doesn't seem to be a
> constant: At first it seemed to be the magic 64k, but that number
> has varied as I've been testing. One of the strange aspects of this
> is that I'm only sending out data I have received from other
> workers--so Gearman is handling apparently arbitrarily-sized task
> results, but not task params.

Paul,

When you say "failing" do you mean a hard fail or that they fail when
things are unserialized? With my PHP client/worker code I was running
into UTF8 problems when using strlen() (which isn't unicode aware). If
your results can be in UTF8 and the Perl code isn't accounting for
that then things could be blowing up for that reason. Again, this was
a PHP-only problem I ran into ...

--Joe