gentoo roadmap

Brad Fitzpatrick brad@danga.com
Fri, 8 Aug 2003 12:06:02 -0700 (PDT)

Thoughts on the Gentoo memcached roadmap[1]:

* The APIs shouldn't RDEPEND on memcached.  In LiveJournal's case, our
  memcached machines are on totally separate hosts from our web nodes.

* I'd like the init/conf scripts included in memcached.  It's not so much
  that I'm lazy, but I'm not sure the correct way to do it.  I'd just
  write it in Perl, but probably wouldn't fly with most people.

  However it is, we need to support multiple processes in the conf file.
  For instance, we have a 12 GB machine where we run 5x2 GB processes,
  leaving 2 GB on the machine for other stuff.  Because it's a 32 bit
  machine, we can't just run 1 10 GB process.

Anybody using memcached seriously is going to want these same sorts
of configs.

- Brad

[1] http://dev.gentoo.org/~lisa/memcached/roadmap.txt