gentoo roadmap

Brad Fitzpatrick brad@danga.com
Fri, 8 Aug 2003 12:42:37 -0700 (PDT)

On Fri, 8 Aug 2003, Lisa Marie Seelye wrote:

> >   However it is, we need to support multiple processes in the conf file.
> >   For instance, we have a 12 GB machine where we run 5x2 GB processes,
> >   leaving 2 GB on the machine for other stuff.  Because it's a 32 bit
> >   machine, we can't just run 1 10 GB process.
>
> This seems like a candidate for program enhancement:
>
> memcached -d --servers 5 --mem 2048  = 5 servers at 2048MB each.
>
> Mainly because I don't particularly relish the job of modifying the init
> script. ;-)  I'll see what I can do...

The problem is, when you have a huge memcached farm, and you want to
upgrade to a new version of memcached, you don't want to stop/start
everything at once... you want to do one process at a time.  Having them
all parent/child off each other makes it really hard.

Plus, our goal is to write in C as little as possible.  No config
parsing, etc.  My goal was always to write a Perl wrapper to control them.

Couldn't we just make memcached depend on Perl?  Then the init scripts
could just do stop-start-daemons on the wrapper?

- Brad