Memcached TODO list?

Anatoly Vorobey mellon@pobox.com
Thu, 28 Aug 2003 12:12:20 +0300

Lisa,

You wrote on Wed, Aug 27, 2003 at 10:29:28PM -0400:
> On Wed, 2003-08-27 at 14:55, Lisa Marie Seelye wrote:
> > Ack.  I forgot I took out the need for errno.h, here's a better patch
> > that removes it.
>
> *sigh* if this isn't text/plain, the patch can be found at
> http://dev.gentoo.org/~lisa/memcached/setuid.patch
>
> Sorry for the binary crap, turns out you can't digitally sign a message
> and attach a _plain text_ file.

It's a nice patch. However, I can't help thinking it might be better
to keep it simple... or simpl-er, anyway. Namely,

- have a command-line switch "-u user" meaning "assume identity of user
  when run as root"
- refuse to run as root unless the switch is given.

If the user running memcached is careless enough to want to run it as
root w/o providing the switch, w/o reading the README file (where it
should be mentioned), etc., we might as well fail and draw the user's
attention to that.

This will have the benefits of

- avoiding hardcoded stuff in the code (in your patch, three pieces
of hardcoded information: one username and two fallbacks)
- reduce the code necessary to 6-7 lines or so in the main .c file
  w/o requiring another source and header file just for this feature.

What do you think?

--
avva@livejournal.com