Memcached TODO list?

Lisa Marie Seelye lisa@gentoo.org
Thu, 28 Aug 2003 15:04:29 -0400

--=-ek/EzJPcidgPNEmJAps0

On Thu, 2003-08-28 at 05:12, Anatoly Vorobey wrote:
> Lisa,
> It's a nice patch. However, I can't help thinking it might be better
> to keep it simple... or simpl-er, anyway. Namely,
>=20
> - have a command-line switch "-u user" meaning "assume identity of user =20
>   when run as root"
> - refuse to run as root unless the switch is given.
>=20
> If the user running memcached is careless enough to want to run it as
> root w/o providing the switch, w/o reading the README file (where it
> should be mentioned), etc., we might as well fail and draw the user's
> attention to that.=20
>=20
> This will have the benefits of
>=20
> - avoiding hardcoded stuff in the code (in your patch, three pieces
> of hardcoded information: one username and two fallbacks)
> - reduce the code necessary to 6-7 lines or so in the main .c file
>   w/o requiring another source and header file just for this feature.
>=20
> What do you think?

That's a better idea ;-).  But I like the idea of keeping the setuid
code in its own file.  Not having to draw in a setuid.h is a good thing,
since it keeps things simpler.  The user flag will still be in the
memcached.c file.

I'll see about whipping up a -u|--user flag replacement.

--=20
Regards,
-Lisa
<Vix ulla tam iniqua pax, quin bello vel aequissimo sit potior>

--=-ek/EzJPcidgPNEmJAps0

--=-ek/EzJPcidgPNEmJAps0--