Java Client API work: volunteer here

Brad Fitzpatrick brad@danga.com
Sat, 26 Jul 2003 01:53:27 -0700 (PDT)

A Java client API is sorely needed.  I keep saying I'll work on it, but
it's been months since I last did Java, and it'd probably take me more
time to go find a JDK again and re-learn the java.net.* APIs than to
actually make the thing.

Feel free to post prototypes along the way and I can answer any questions.
I propose your API accepts the following types of arguments for the value.

   String
   int
   Serializable

For the key, both the Perl and PHP APIs accept either a string, or an
arrayref with [$hash_value, $string_key].  You might want to make a
MemCacheKey object, which can optionally be used, when people want to set
the explicit hashing value.

Of course, do whatever feels most Java-ish.  I feel it could get painful,
though:

   {set|add|replace} * {String|MemCacheKey} * {String|int|Serializable}

That's 27 different methods, which all do essentially the same thing.
I guess you can just make those be the public interface, and wrappers
around a private one that can do anthing.

Thoughts?  (anybody?)