libmemcache 1.0.1

John McCaskey johnm at klir.com
Tue Dec 7 16:54:29 PST 2004

On Tue, 2004-12-07 at 16:45 -0800, Sean Chittenden wrote:
> > Ok, so I believe I've fixed the issue.
>
> Fix incorporated into 1.0.2.
>
> http://people.FreeBSD.org/~seanc/libmemcache/
>
> This release also fixes some miscellanea for FreeBSD's bento cluster,
> but no one here should care too much.

Excellent!

> > The problem looked to be that the only check that would cause a goto to
> > get_more_bits, as if there as no \n in the retrieved buffer, yet the
> > mc_fetch_cmd code was assuming not just that the first line was
> > complete, but all the data had been completely read as well.
> >
> > As such I made mc_get_line check if the amount of data read on the
> > socket == the max allowed, and if so try to read some more, so that it
> > will always read in the whole response at once.
>
> Ah, yeah.  Good catch.  The worst case scenario being that the response
> was exactly the same as the number of bits coming in.  I don't think
> there's any way around this for now.  Text protocols suck (*nudges Brad
> to send feedback on binary protocol spec* [-: ).

Yeah, I thought about the fact that the response might be exactly the
same size.  The only thing that seemed possible was to check for the \r
\nEND\r\n sequence, and then not goto get_more_bits, but checking that
every single time when the likelihood of an exact size match is very low
seemed like a definate loss.

I agree about the binary protocol, text ones are nice because its easy
to manually test, but for real production high performance work it would
be preferable to get away from that I think.

> > I also noticed some issues with the addresses not all getting set after
> > the ReAlloc call, which would work fine if your implementation happened
> > to not change the address, but would fail otherwise (failed for me
> > under
> > linux 2.4 and 2.6). So I fixed that, and finally the code for
> > determining the location of the newline had to be updated to account
> > for
> > the fact that the newline might not be in mc->read_cur, but ealier in
> > mc->cur since I read everything at once.
>
> Ah, very nice.  I was doing this in mc_reset_buf(), but spaced adding
> it elsewhere.
>
> > I don't think this has any negative performance implication as the
> > whole
> > response is going to have to be read before much can be done anyway,
> > but
> > it probably could be optimized to go back to how it was before, but
> > modify mc_fetch_cmd to call mc_get_line again before attempting to set
> > res->val where it now falsely assumes that the second line was already
> > completed.
>
> The only case where I can see any performance impact would be if there
> are exactly GET_INIT_BUF_SIZE or buf->size bytes on the wire such that
> subsequent read(2) calls would read(2) zero bytes and the buffer would
> grow 2x.  The flipside being, on subsequent calls, this wouldn't be a
> problem.

Yeah, see my comments above, since it seems rather unlikely that the
exact size will be hit very often I decided trying to detect this would
be a net performance loss on average.

--
John A. McCaskey
Software Development Engineer