Another Memcached User

Jeraimee Hughes jhughes at revelex.com
Tue Dec 28 11:52:05 PST 2004

We have successfully placed memcached into production here at Revelex.
We have started by using memcached as a storage system for our PHP
sessions. As of this email we have 57,360 sessions across 3 servers
(our expire time is 30 minutes). We host over 650 Web sites with heavy
session use.

Since bringing memcached online we have had a total of 566,509 gets and
566,361 sets in less then 24 hours (again across 3 servers). Having run
less then 24 hours we'll soon find out what lies ahead but so far we
have great results.

We have tried using MySQL, NFS-mounted flat-files and even NFS-mounted
RAM drives to no avail. To date, only memcached has been able to keep
up with our needs.

Future use includes caching of specific objects and/or values to be
shared across objects and potentially utilizing memcached with some
reporting methods.

Thanks to Brad for a great tool and Antony for a great PHP extension.

If anyone else has used memcached in this method please feel free to
comment and provide some insight as to what we may look out for.

---
Jeraimee Hughes
Application Director
Revelex, Inc.