Feature request: lock a key

Per Wigren tuxie at dekadance.se
Fri Sep 10 10:30:54 PDT 2004

That approach would add a lot of unwanted complexity to my PHP code. I
prefer to handle things at the lowest level possible. :)

I (want to) use a cached array for two things:

1: Keep track of which cached HTML-pages belong to which
objects/variables. I'm working on a community website and I want to keep
the generated HTML cached until some variable the HTML depends on has
changed. For example the generated HTML of a user's guestbook should be
cached until somebody post a new entry in her guestbook. The guestbook
will look different depending on which user is looking at it
(userconfigurable timezones, and the user herself get additional options
like "delete" and "reply") so I want to add the cache-key of the
generated pages ("guestbook.$userid.$timezone.$is_owner") to a global
array like "guestbook.$userid" so I can recursivly delete them on a new
post.

2: Tracking average page-generation-times for debugging/profiling
without having to hit the database on every pageview.

In the HTML-example, if a cached HTML page get lost from memcache it's
no big deal because it will be regenerated on the next view. But if a
"keytracker" misses a page it won't be regenerated at all so the new
message won't be seen. I will put a TTL on generated HTML so the
"feature" will disappear in 1 or 2 hours, but it will be annoying anyway...

The reason I don't want to cache to disk is because I want my site to be
simple to load-balance in the future when it's needed, without depending
on a central NFS-server... I don't even use a session-handler, only two
cookies (userid+authcode) and memcached. :)

If you have smarter solutions I'd love to hear them! :)

Regards,
Per Wigren