PHP-mcache 1.2.0 beta 4 public release

johnm johnm at klir.com
Thu Apr 28 17:11:26 PDT 2005

I've released a public beta of php-mcache 1.2.0, this is beta 4 as its
the 4th build I've released 'internally' and to some select few who have
been asking for it.  See: http://www.klir.com/~johnm/php-mcache/

As far as I'm concerned this is stable, and the beta status is due to
the fact that it depends on libmemcache 1.3.x which is still in beta.
Once Sean goes final with libmemcache 1.3.0 a final build of php-mcache
1.2.0 will follow closely.

The features are:

1) Support for libmemcache 1.3.x betas (in fact it requires libmemcache
 >= 1.3.0 beta 1)

2) Fixed to compile on compilers without C99 support (Thanks to Jacob
Coby for pointing out this was the issue causing some people compilation
errors)

3) Improved error handling -- libmemcache used to just output errors to
stderr, now it lets clients hook in with callback functions to handle
them more cleanly, and as such the php api can now use php's error
handling for all errors/warnings.  This is much, much cleaner.

4) Fixed a minor memory leak in multi-get calls -- This would occur only
on a miss inside of a multi-get and php's garbage collector would free
the memory at the end of a request, but if you had a very large number
of multi-get requests cause misses then you might run out of memory
during a request in versions prior to 1.2.0 beta 4.

5) You get all the great enhancements Sean has added in the 1.3.0 beta
branch of libmemcache!

An aside is that I've had numerous requests that the single get call
should return NULL not FALSE on a miss, and would like some more
feedback as to whether the community would prefer this.  I'm hesitant to
break the api as some may already relay on the return of FALSE.  As
always I welcome any feedback, bug reports or patches :)  I

John McCaskey