failed to daemon()

Greg Whalin gwhalin at meetup.com
Tue Dec 20 16:19:57 UTC 2005

Alex Stapleton wrote:

> On 20 Dec 2005, at 15:55, Brian Moon wrote:
>
>> We have memcached 1.1.12 deployed on 5 Gentoo machines already.  We
>> have two fresh Gentoo 2005.1 installed servers with memcached  1.1.12
>> emerged.  We are getting the error: "failed to daemon() in  order to
>> daemonize" when using the -d option.  We have it working  by using
>> start-stop-daemon with the background option, but would  rather not
>> have these two machines running different than the other  Gentoo
>> boxes.  I see the code that is throwing the error, but I  have no idea
>> what could be causing it.
>>
>> Anyone have any ideas?
>>

> Stop using Gentoo on production machines. It mostly works on the
> desktop, but on servers it generally results in random weirdness and
> copious amounts of pain due to portage being a constantly moving
> target. Please, just *try* something sensible like RHAT or Debian.

Interesting, because when we switched to Gentoo on our production
servers, nearly all of our performance and stability problems went away.
  We also run 3 gentoo memcache servers which have never once had a
problem and have only been restarted for software updates.  We switched
from RH btw.

Your answer was completely off topic, not in the slightest bit helpful,
and flame bait (hmmm, guess I took it??!)

To the original poster, I am running Gentoo built from 2005.1 (though
mostly up to date w/ latest portage sync) on all 3 of our memcache boxes
and have not seen this issue??  Sorry I can't be of more help.  Are you
usning memcached from portage or did you dl and compile yourself?  We
have been using the portage version w/ no problems.

greg