Typepad acquisition and memcached?

Brad Fitzpatrick brad at danga.com
Fri Jan 7 13:02:00 PST 2005

On Tue, 4 Jan 2005, Troy Hakala wrote:

> Any changes expected for memcached after the Typepad acquisition of
> LiveJournal? Will it remain open source and free? Will its development
> continue?

Now that it's official I can reply...

Yes, memcached is still BSD-licensed.  Could could it not be?  You can't
un-open-source something.

I don't think BSD-licensed stuff is any concern to Six Apart ... they
can even ship it in their closed products with unreleased modifications
if they wanted.  I don't see why they would, but they /could/ legally.

And I don't see any strategic advantage to holding back caching from the
world... anybody can cache.  We'd prefer people use ours than somebody
elses, then we get improvements from people using ours.

So yes, I believe development will continue, and we'll continue to BSD
license our changes.

- Brad