Your feedback

Timo Ewalds timo at tzc.com
Sat Jul 2 11:58:33 PDT 2005

Memcached is O(1) while most file systems are much slower than that
(reiser is O(ln(n)) I think, ext2 is O(n) I think), so for large caches,
memcached is probably much faster than the filesystem. There are some
other benefits though. Memcached keeps a fixed size which expires old
data as needed. A ram disk would keep a fixed size and clear on a
restart, but would not clear old data to make room for new data. The
biggest benefit is that it works for many front ends and easily scales
to many memcached backends, ie it isn't limited to a local cache.

Timo